Welcome to my blog

Welcome to The Literary Pig's blog - a safe haven for all those afflicted with
the unbearable urge to write.

Monday 26 December 2011

12 Days of a LitPig Christmas: 2

On the 2nd day of Christmas my LitPig brought to me ...

TWO HOMER SAGAS
and
A BOX SET OF ROALD DAHL BOOKS

Each day I want to share the writing of an author that I read for the first time in 2011.   These are my personal choices - you may know many of them, but perhaps one or two will be new to you ... So why not try a new author in 2012.  
February 2011:
PETER JAMES - Roy Grace series of detective novels
I started with Dead Tomorrow - picking this from the local village library - which isn't the first in the series.  Immediately I was hooked, perhaps because the location and settings were so familiar to me.  The finale of the book takes place at Manor house on the South Downs, which is literally 5 mins from us!  And of course Peter James famously lives in West Sussex, near Brighton, so knows the county well.   I can vouch that his locations are genuine, even down to the roundabouts and junctions he recalls during car chases!  
You don't have to read these in order, though there is a clear timeline running through the series, and I found it easy to catch up on the characters and history.  Yes, these crime thrillers do follow a formula but the writing is intoxicating.  The chapters are short and well paced so you simply fly through the novels, even though they are usually over 400 pages long.
WARNING: these books are addictive ... one is never enough.

Other titles in the Roy Grace series are:

  • Dead Simple (2005)
  • Looking Good Dead (2006)
  • Not Dead Enough (2007)
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (2008)
  • Dead Tomorrow (2009)
  • Dead Like You (2010)
  • Dead Man's Grip (2011)


No comments:

Post a Comment