Welcome to my blog

Welcome to The Literary Pig's blog - a safe haven for all those afflicted with
the unbearable urge to write.

Monday 16 January 2012

Read, read, read

When I'm reading I'm as happy as these piggies wallowing in fondant mud.  Looking back at 2011 and my literary notebook I counted up 64 books happily digested.  So to uphold my prestigious role as Literary Pig my mission statement for 2012 is: READ, READ, READ...

Right now I'm reading 3 novels for the Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance 2012, but here are the top truffles from my reading list of 2011:

Most memorable reads 
- all compelling tales that left a lingering impression long after reading:
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Vanishing of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

Funny reads
 - made me laugh out loud in parts and all children's books! (hoping to search out some humour for adults this year):
Frozen in Time by Ali Sparkes
Henry's Tumour by Anthony McGowan

Page-turning reads 
- gripping addictive stories
Any Roy Grace novel by Peter James
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collier
Room by Emma Donaghue

Tearjerkers
- either made me weep buckets or simply resonated with their power to stir deep emotions
War Horse by Michael Murpogo (I'm taking several boxes of tissues when I see this at the cinema)
Shadow by Michael Murpogo (yes this man truly is a god amongst children's writers)
The knife of never letting go by Patrick Ness

Short story anthologies
- these made me sit up in astonishment, demonstrating the incredible range of themes and emotions that can be explored through shorts
The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (adult fairytales composed with the most exquisite prose)
Burning Elvis by John Burnside
Mortality by Nicholas Royle (Warning: some of these stories are so original and creative they read like a slap in the face, at times very sexually explicit but never, ever dull)

These are just a few of the best reads of 2011.  Now I'm looking forward to rooting out some new authors and genres for 2012.

Do share what you like to read and any great books you've enjoyed...

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about what I'd read recently and the answer is - not nearly enough. I must do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started keeping a notebook of books read and was really surprised at how many I finished in a year. Interestingly, at times of concentrated writing (working on novels for example) my reading significantly dropped off. But I find when I do read more then the ideas flow too - bonus!

    ReplyDelete