The Indoor Writer recently entered her children's novel into a novel opening competition for adults and children's writing. She didn't make the longlist of 20, but she did make the final 32 (so the final 16 for the children's category). Out of >400 submissions this was a positive endorsement for the story and a serious nudge to do SOMETHING with the completed manuscript! (I keep nagging...)
Here are some competitions for novels on my radar, in order of closing dates.
But be warned these competitions are not cheap to enter...
Cinnamon Press NOVEL Competition: click here for details
Closes 30 June 2013
- Prize: Publication & advance (on royalities) of £400
- Fee £12
- Need to submit first 10,000 words
Lightship Publishing FIRST CHAPTER Competition: click here for details
Closes 1 July 2013
- Prize: 3 mentoring sessions with publishing experts (author, agent, publisher), chance for representation.
- Fee £16
- Need to submit 5,000 words of opening + 400 word synopsis
Mslexia NOVEL Competition (for women writers only!): click here for details
Closes 23 September 2013
- Prize: £5,000
- Judges: Kirsty Lang, Val McDermid, Charlotte Robertson
- Fee £25
- Need to submit first 5,000 words (adult or YA), but you need to have a finished novel of minimum 50,000 ready if shortlisted.
Harry Bowling NOVEL Competition: click here for details
Closes 30 September 2013
- Prize: £1000 & critique from publishing experts of finished novel
- Fee £10
- Need to submit first chapter(s) up to 5,000 words. The novel MUST be set in a city or town.
NEW - Exeter Novel Prize 2013: click here for details
Closes 31 October 2013
- Prize: £500, plus 5 x £50 runners-up
- Fee £12
- Need to submit novel opening (adult or YA) of not more than 10,000 words including a synopsis of max 500 words.
Do share if you have a go at any of these...